Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen by Alex Lewin
Discover how to preserve your favorite foods in every season with the easy techniques and recipes in Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen. Learn the process of fermentation from start to finish, and stock your pantry and refrigerator with delicious fruits, vegetables, dairy, and more.
Fermenting is an art and a science, and Alex Lewin expertly takes you through every step, including an overview of food preserving and the fermentation process. Get to know the health benefits of fermented foods, and learn the best tools, supplies, and ingredients to use.
Then start making wholesome preserved foods and beverages with step-by-step recipes for sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, yogurt, preserved lemons, chutney, kimchi, and more, getting the best out of every season’s bounty. The book is filled with beautiful photos and clear instructions help you build your skills with confidence. It’s no wonder people are fascinated with fermenting—the process is user friendly, and the rewards are huge.
Inside you’ll find:
- an overview of the art and craft of home preserving
- why fermented foods are good for you
- how to troubleshoot recipes, and how to modify them to suit your taste
- which vegetables and fruits are best for fermentation
- the best seasonings to use
- how to ferment dairy products to create yogurt, kefir, and buttermilk
- how to create fermented beverages, including mead, wine, and ginger ale
With this book as your guide, you’ll feel in control of your food and your health. See why so many people are discovering the joys of fermenting!